In 1961 the population of Ickenham was 10,370.
In Swakeleys Road, Miss Dora Howard's School in the Old Rectory was closed, and the building was demolished. Ivy House Farm and Barn were also demolished, and the Rectory Estate was built on the sites. Many 'in-fill' roads were built on existing estates.
Douay Martyrs Secondary Modern Roman Catholic School in Edinburgh Drive was opened in 1962. It began with 450 pupils.
In recent years it has greatly expanded, with an annexe on the site of the old Swakeleys School and Adult Education Centre in Long Lane. It now serves the Roman Catholic population for the whole of the Borough of Hillingdon.
Vyners Grammar School opened as a grammar school on 12 January 1960, under Headmaster Trevor Jagger, later becoming a comprehensive. Delays in building work meant the first intake of pupils were taught at St Mary's Grammar School in Northwood Hills from 9 September 1959. The project received help from John Miles (the headmaster of Abbotsfield School at the time), and one of the houses is now named after him.
The grammar school is named after Sir Robert Vyner, a former Lord Mayor of London who lived at the nearby Swakeleys House for a time.
The Compass Community Arts Centre was built on to Ickenham Hall in the 1960s.
Ickenham Library was opened in 1962. The site was once occupied by a 16th century house called 'The Orchard' and a tea garden of that name was run there by Mr. Cowne until 1934. The clock in the Library Tower commemorates the Coronation of the Queen nine years earlier; in 1954 a committee, which had been organised for the Coronation celebrations, found itself with surplus funds. They bought a 3-sided clock and decided to mount it on the 8-sided Pump. After a wordy battle in the local press, Uxbridge Council conceded that the clock should not be put on the Pump, and it was later incorporated in the Library Tower.